Kwani Trust is pleased to announce a deadline extension for its
national short story competition titled, ‘The Kenya I Live In’. Though
we have received in excess of 400 entries, we feel that we have not
done justice to what our original ends were for the competition. This
includes reaching certain demographics and geographic locations. We
have undertaken a huge outreach initiative to address this. The new
competition deadline is now October 26, 2009. Kwani Trust would like
to thank all the writers who have, so far ,submitted entries into the
competition. We look forward to a successful completion of the process
when we announce the winners in December, 2009.
Please note only the dates have changed, the rules and guidelines remain the same.However those who had sent their stories earlier and wish to re-submit are allowed to do so.
• Winner: Ksh. 100,000
• 1st runner up: Ksh. 75,000
• 2nd runner up: Ksh. 50,000
Submission Guidelines for Short Stories on ‘The Kenya I Live In’.
• Word count: 3000 – 8000 words. Theme: ‘The Kenya I Live In’.
• This is adult fiction (in the sense that it is not ‘children’s fiction’). Since we are targeting a certain generation, we will only accept entries from writers born after 1978.
• The work can be in English, Kiswahili or Sheng’. The story must be ‘new’ in the sense that it is ‘unpublished in book form’ (we will accept submissions which have been previously published in magazines.)
• Please send submissions by email , attached as a WORD doc to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post as a typescript ( no handwritten scripts please)to P o Box 2895-00100 Nairobi.
• A maximum of three entries per person is allowed.
• Name of author (Times New Roman 12 Bold left justified)
• Contact address, telephone number , date of birth and email (Times New Roman 12 Bold left justified)
• Title of short story (Times New Roman 14, bold, centered). The story should be in Times New Roman, black, size 12, justified, 1.5 line spacing.
• Page numbers and name of author on every page please.
• Word count at the end of the story, bold and left justified
• Submission Deadline : October 26, 2009
Please visit Kwani for more information.